Tuesday, May 8, 2018

Bigger chickens, bigger chores

So last weekend we got some laying hens from a friend of a friend. It has been an adventurous learning curve!!

This lady pictured above is Big Mamma. She's the boss now. She lays big brown eggs every other day, so far. She doesn't mind the baby chicks, but she isn't very fond of sharing her treats. I love that she will walk right up to you and eat out of your hand!

This lady is Spazzy. She minds her own business, but doesn't much care for the babies or humans. She is laying one medium white egg per day. I think she may have been a grouchy hermit in a previous life. Her eggs are delicious so we'll keep her around for as long as she likes.

This girl right here. This is Jackie. Jackie is a mess. She escaped the first day. I say "escaped," but she wanted out and we pretty much didn't argue. She was picking on the babies and I was too overwhelmed to argue with a chicken. We spent the weekend feeling bad that she was wandering the yard alone. On Monday we finally lured her back to the rest of the flock. And she loves me. She will sit in my lap and hang out just like the babies :)


I thought I made a super cool graphic for this post (above) until Max hand crafted a better one (below).



No comments:

Post a Comment